What Critics Say About
McGoorty, The Story of a Billiard Bum
- "A vivid character, a ripe language, a great cast ... a marvelously
readable biography, touching and hilarious."
- The San Francisco Chronicle
- "Byrne captures perfectly the sound of the poolrooms, the blunt
language of the characters, the gestures, the sarcasm, and the wit.
A fascinating book that offers an authentic inside view of a strange world."
- Deland Sun Times
- "The seamy side of America, a view from the bottom up that can't
be found this side of Dos Passos or Orwell -- a burst of applause
for a remarkable book!"
- American Billiard Review
- "Pool hustler, hobo, alcoholic, ladies' man, and a tournament player,
McGoorty was a Runyonesque character and a first-rate raconteur. The
result is a memoir that should rack up many readers, even among those that
don't know a cue from a swizzle stick."
- Publishers Weekly
Other Books |
Copyright © 2014 Robert Byrne.
All rights reserved.
Please direct questions and comments about this site to